Butternut Squash, Black Bean and Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast or 4 thighs or 2 cups shredded roasted chicken
- 1 jar whole foods 365 organic enchilada sauce or Siete enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, partially drained
- 1 tsp cumin, divided
- 9 Siete almond flour tortillas, organic corn or alternative
- 1 cup shredded organic grassmilk or Kerrygold cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Topping options: sliced avocado, cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Adjust rack in middle oven.
- Arrange cubed squash on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with avocado oil and sprinkle paprika, 1/2 tsp cumin, salt and pepper. Toss.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until fork tender.
- If using rotisserie chicken, shred 2 cups. Place in a small bowl and toss with ½ tsp cumin.
- To make your own chicken: Toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Shred chicken.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions on medium heat in a medium skillet with 1/2 tsp olive oil until translucent.
- Add beans, remaining salt, pepper and cumin.
- Stir, then cook for 3-5 minutes on low heat.
- Combine with squash in a large bowl.
- Coat bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish with enchilada sauce pouring remaining sauce in a low dish.
- Dip a tortilla in sauce to coat.
- Place spoonful of bean mixture, chicken and cheese.
- Roll up, place seam side down in baking dish continue with rest of tortillas.
- Drizzle more sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake 350 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt, sliced avocado, cilantro and pumpkin seeds.
Back to Blog Homepage
Follow along on social
Keep up with Sherri's latest tips and recipes
Join the newsletter