- 8 taco size tortillas
- 2 poblano peppers
- 3 shallot, halved
- 4 garlic clove, skin-on, for roasting, or cut top off a whole bulb, drizzle with oil, wrap in foil
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes or about 2 cups pre-cut
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 sliced jalapeno
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On one baking sheet roast the whole poblanos, halved shallots, and garlic for 20 minutes or until the shallots are nicely browned and the poblanos are charred.
- Slice 2 poblano and 2 shallot and set aside. Remainder is for sauce*see below
- Make the Crispy Squash: In a large bowl, combine the ground flaxseed with the almond milk and set aside to thicken for 5 minutes. Note: If the mixture becomes too thick as you work, thin with a tiny bit more almond milk.
- In another large bowl, combine the panko, hemp seeds, chili powder, onion powder, and the salt. Place half the squash cubes in the milk/flaxseed mixture to coat, and then toss will in bowl of the panko mixture. Place the cubes onto one of the prepared baking sheets.
- Repeat with the second half. Place the cubes onto the second baking sheet and drizzle both sheets of squash with olive oil. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Fill each tortilla with the cabbage, sliced poblanos and shallots, the butternut squash, avocado, cilantro, a scoop of poblano sauce, and the jalapeno peppers, if using. Serve with the remaining sauce and the lime slices.
Poblano Sauce and Cabbage Ingredients
- 1/2 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cilantro, leaves and stems
- 3 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 whole roasted poblano
- 3 roasted garlic cloves
- 1 roasted shallot
- Make the Poblano Sauce: In a food processor, combine ½ of one roasted poblano, ½ of one roasted shallot (you will use the remaining poblano and onion in the taco filling), the peeled roasted garlic, mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth, leaving some remaining green flecks. Chill until ready to use.
- Place the shredded cabbage into a medium bowl, add a heaping scoop of the poblano sauce, and toss until combined.